Two pharma researchers who wanted to become more involved in research, to spend more time with clients and respondents (and less time in meetings) and out of that came BPR. They came to me with a problem: “how do we stand out in an serious industry without being appearing too serious?” A difficult challenge but I was up for it.


To create a new brand that reaches out as a fresh new light in the pharmaceutical market – which included a logo, business cards, some colour theory and website too.


A new specialist positioning and communications market research for the pharmaceutical industry. They aim to simply and clearly deliver research. BPR strive to engage respondents and clients alike in what they do. Inquisitive and questioning.


I can’t quite see it

Before we begun any serious work, Matt and Bridget had issues with their presentations and that was the foremost important thing to sort out. It was their pitch after all. I took a couple of powerpoint files they produced and started to analyse the colours and typography they were using. Using W3C colour algorithm with a standard application like Colour Contrast Analyser and Color Logic by Jill Morton. I was able to get down to the detail of the problems they were having and produced a report to help identify what they were doing wrong and how to resolve it.

Old colours

Matt and Bridget were using white text on these backdrops and legibility was very poor and black text just didn’t good either. We start off by analysing the current colour scheme. It is important to identify whether the chosen colours work together – if they are harmonic in nature.

Revised colours

We needed colours that worked across web, presentations and print work. I went with a complementary method to find the main colours and monochromatic method to expand on those colours. I also made some typographical recommendations, including what font size and font colours can be used with each colour.

BPR-Colour Report-14

I wrapped everything into a report for them to be able to analyse and implement at their own pace.

colour report mockup

Download PDF (170KB)
Example of the document I created.

Mood boards

Mood boards have their place and I don’t use them all the time, depending on the project and the client. I felt that using them in this project, would allow Matt and Bridget to have a say in the art direction while letting me get inside their heads. I used countries as a playful method to communicate each board.

britain header bg

British board

britain board

britain footer bg

germany bg

German board

germany board

germany bg

bpr sweden light bulbbpr sweden light bulbbpr sweden light bulbbpr sweden light bulbbpr sweden light bulbbpr sweden light bulbbpr sweden light bulbbpr sweden light bulbbpr sweden light bulbbpr sweden light bulbbpr sweden light bulbbpr sweden light bulbbpr sweden light bulbbpr sweden light bulbbpr sweden light bulbbpr sweden light bulbbpr sweden light bulbbpr sweden light bulbbpr sweden light bulbbpr sweden light bulbbpr sweden light bulbbpr sweden light bulbbpr sweden light bulbbpr sweden light bulb

Swedish board

sweden board

finland header bg

Finnish board

finland board

finland footer bg


Once I had the foundation laid out. I set my sights on the website – in the midst of it al, I created some mind maps to make sure I saw the bigger picture and that things were heading in the right direction.

BPR Website map


In the new era of web fonts, I was spoiled for choice! I wanted to create contrast between the fonts; a slab version of Museo (at 700) give the website the young fresh edge and Lato was a bit more understated and workhorse like with the many weights available.

BPR Typography sheet


I went with a nine column grid to allow enough flexibility for different layouts (blog, what we do, etc.). The odd numbered grid gives that invisible beauty to a design. I remember going to Mark Bolton workshop, where he mentioned how old books were based on this odd column grid system. Layout patterns such as 4-1-4, 3-3-3, 2-5-2 and 1-5-3 seemed very enticing indeed – the design geek in me was pleased.

BPR Grid sheet


I picked a base colour (light beige) that would match the main colour (green) and a dark charcoal that would blend nicely between the green and red ribbon for copy.

BPR Colours for Web

In the end we were so impressed that we asked him to re-think our colours, create a logo and design our business cards!

– Bridget Pumfrey


Before I started my designs, I made sure to double check everything:

  • Logo Design
  • Colour
  • Mood boards
  • Design system

Everything seemed very straight forward now. I understood the essence of Matt and Bridget wanted, and designed a single set of templates – there was no need for multiple designs. The process allowed for a single design to flow from the root of their brand, utilising the grid system to give each area its own unique rhythm and mould around their values.

bpr final design 1-leftbpr final design 1-middlebpr final design 1-right

bpr final design 2-left bpr final design 2-middle bpr final design 2-right

Final words

Matt and Bridget were very happy with what I produced. Not only did I give them a brand that stood out from their competition but business cards, video tutorials and a website that they could maintain themselves without the need of external help. They were truly self-sufficient, and I realised that’s all two people need who are trying to grow and follow their dreams.




  • Desktop
  • Paper


Logo design
Art Direction
Web Design
Front End Development
WordPress development


2 weeks

Team size